Monday, October 17, 2011

What are you doing with your life?

It's a fair question.

I've basically fallen off the face of the earth - the blog earth, at least. I am involved in the real world full-force, kicking ass (or getting my ass kicked, depending on the day) and taking names. I miss my little blog though - and I still read all of yours religiously!

I never wanted my blog to be a day-by-day chronicle of my life - I love reading blogs like that, but I just didn't want to write one myself. I always wanted it to be a blog filled with my deep thoughts and musings, a blog that made people think or question or wonder themselves.

But I've discovered that life isn't always like that - you can't always have the big, deep things. But the day-to-day stuff? That happens every. Single. Day.

So now, welcome to my blog - a blog that might have the big stuff, but will be filled with the little stuff too. Because, as cheesy as it sounds, the little stuff makes up the big stuff, and it's just as - if not more - important.

So what have I been up to these days? A lot.

I returned from Spain and went straight to work as a front-desk receptionist at and office on campus. I worked full-time all summer, absolutely loving it. It was my first summer on my own (I stayed in my house up at school alone), and while sometimes I got lonely, I absolutely loved it.

My summer was also spent helping my sister get ready for her wedding - I was the maid of honor, which means I got to do fun things like plan her bachelorette party. We went to Portland and had dinner and caught the drag show (it was amazing, and we loved every minute of it). The bride-t0-be wore white and all the girls in attendance wore black, so we were an easy group to spot wherever we went:

My lovely sister and I before heading out for the night.

I also planned and hosted a bridal shower for my sister...it was boring, as I find most bridal showers to be, but I was pleased with my decor and the goodies I made!

A homemade crepe paper flower ball alongside my homemade treats - coconut cupcakes, lemon meltaways, and shortbread cookies with blueberries.

Finally, on September 17 my sister got married. It was a lovely wedding with a fantastic reception. Everything went off without a hitch and we all had such a fantastic time.

My sister and I on our way to the reception - better pictures to come soon!

My now (but not then)-boyfriend and I on the way to the reception. He was the best man in the wedding.

Soon after the wedding, classes started up and we're now in week four at school. This means it's midterms season and that I am crazy busy with 20 hours of work as a receptionist, 10 hours a week at the athletic department, and 16 credit hours of school. Add all my studying on top of that and it's no wonder that I only somewhat manage to maintain a social life, and it's also no wonder that that semblance of a social life only occurs on the weekends.

One of these weekends included a visit to Bend to see my boyfriend, who ended up being in the Emergency Room when we (my sister and brother-in-law, his brother, and I) arrived. He ended up being okay, but that wasn't how we envisioned our Friday night going! But a third date at the ER worked out quite nicely for us.


After he was finally told he could leave after six hours of tests.

The next weekend he made the trip to Corvallis for a visit complete with a football game. I had to work the game, but was able to hang out with my sisters, brother-in-law, and my boyfriend for a bit at the tailgate beforehand:

Favorite picture of us so far.

Love my sisters!

And that is my life, ladies and gentleman. On any given weekday I am at class or work by 8:30 (8:00 on Fridays), have class or work until 5:00, hit the gym for an hour or two afterwards, run home and scarf down a quick dinner, then spend the rest of the evening sequestered in my room or the library studying my life away. This term is filled with challenging classes that require a lot of reading and studying.

I do my best to work ahead in my classes to leave the weekends free, which has worked out well so far. On Saturday night I took a spontaneous trip to Bend to see my boyfriend for a day, which I was able to do because I had already worked through all of my homework for Monday's classes. Sometimes being an overachiever pays off, I guess!

I hope to get back into the swing of blogging, even if it's just about my usually mundane, very scheduled life.

La vida es así...

1 comment:

  1. Nice catching up with all you have going on. :) Glad to hear that your boyfriend is OK. I love the color of your bridesmaid dress!!! Hope all else is well.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, too!

    ReplyDelete