Day two of the thirty-day photo challenge told me to post a picture of me with the person I've been closest to the longest.
I decided I can't do that. So I posted a picture of me with the two people I've been closest to the longest.
I decided that since it's my blog, I can take some liberties with this challenge :)
This photo is of me (left); my older sister, Samantha (center); and my younger sister, Kendall (right). It was taken last summer at our uncle's wedding in California (that should explain our sun-kissed skin pretty well).
Technically I've been closest to Samantha the longest - she's a year-and-a-half older than I am, and only one grade ahead in school. We've been inseparable since my birth (almost 21 years ago).
Kendall is two years younger than me, and two grades below me in school. That doesn't make much of a difference now, but when you're an eighth grader and your sister is in sixth? Yeah - huge difference.
I was definitely closer to Samantha growing up - we were so close in age and when we hit middle school we starting playing on the same sports teams, which made us have the same friends.
As we grew up, we took Kendall under our wings a little better, and now the three of us are best friends.
Samantha is the loud, older sister. She doesn't know the meaning of an indoor voice, is the teensy-tiniest thing in existence, enjoys pleasing people, has a huge sweet tooth, and a huge, generous heart.
Kendall is the even louder younger sister. She also lacks an indoor voice, demands the presence of a room, is incredibly indecisive, is obsessed with fruit, and has a sarcastic streak three miles wide.
I'm your typical middle sister - a little moodier, a lot quieter...I'm the mediator, the planner, the control-freak.
Somehow, all our personalities click and balance each other's out perfectly. We kind of remind me of the episode of Friends where Phoebe tells Monica she's high-maintenance (me), that Rachel is a push-over (Samantha), and declares herself flaky (Kendall).
The writers of that show knew they had a good character balance of those three women, and that's exactly how my sisters and I are.
We are a wonderful balance of sweet and sassy, organized and carefree, open and guarded, loving and straightforad...thank God for sisters :)
Welcome to Day One of my thirty-day photo challenge! The goal of this is to get me writing again...so here goes day one: a picture of yourself with 15 facts.
1. I am the second of four children - I have an older sister and a younger sister and brother.
2. Even though there is no middle of four, I am definitely the middle child (it has been suggested that birth order roles start over with the birth of the next gender, and since there are three girls in a row then my brother, I'm totally a middle child).
3. My favorite color is green.
4. A "must-have" requirement I have for my future home is a wrap-around porch.
5. I love to bake.
6. One of my favorite things to do by myself is make the drive from school in Corvallis to my parents' house in Eugene.
7. I don't have a favorite food, but I could eat rice and beans every day and never get tired of it.
8. I'm a stickler for grammar rules and only send grammatically correct texts.
9. No matter how big of a bed I am sleeping in, I always sleep on the side.
10. I like to eat ice, even though it's terrible for my teeth.
11. I love love love the beach. Even the Oregon Coast. If there's an ocean and sand, I'm there! Rain/snow/sleet/hail can't stop me.
12. I'm addicted to Tootsie Roll Pops.
13. I only go running to get in my daily exercise...I really despise it.
14. Target is my favorite store ever.
15. I wish I had curly hair (so much that I've had two perms...I'm perming it again after my sister's wedding this fall).
I have decided I need to find some routine to my blogging (I feel like the familiarity will help me on my trip to Spain)...so here goes, the thirty day photo challenge! I found it on a friend's facebook, and decided it'd help me get back into the swing of blogging...
So here is the official list:
Day 01 - A picture of yourself with fifteen facts.
Day 02 - A picture of you and the person you have been close with for the longest.
Day 03 - A picture of the cast from your favorite show.
Day 04 - A picture of your night.
Day 05 - A picture of your favorite memory..
Day 06 - A picture of a person you'd love to trade places with for a day.
Day 07 - A picture of your most treasured item.
Day 08 - A picture that makes you laugh.
Day 09 - A picture of the person who has gotten you through the most.
Day 10 - A picture of the person you do the most messed up things with.
Day 11 - A picture of something you hate.
Day 12 - A picture of something you love.
Day 13 - A picture of your favorite band or artist.
Day 14 - A picture of someone you could never imagine your life without.
Day 15 - A picture of something you want to do before you die.
Day 16 - A picture of someone who inspires you.
Day 17 - A picture of something that has made a huge impact on your life recently.
Day 18 - A picture of your biggest insecurity.
Day 19 - A picture of you when you were little.
Day 20 - A picture of somewhere you'd love to travel.
Day 21 - A picture of something you wish you could forget.
Day 22 - A picture of something you wish you were better at.
Day 23 - A picture of your favorite book.
Day 24 - A picture of something you wish you could change.
Day 25 - A picture of your day.
Day 26 - A picture of something that means a lot to you.
Day 27 - A picture of yourself and a family member.
Day 28 - A picture of something you're afraid of.
Day 29 - A picture that can always make you smile.
Day 30 - A picture of someone you miss.
I may not post every single day, but all 30 days will be accounted for on this blog...sometimes this is what it takes to get me writing again, and I hope this is the push I need :)
It's been a long week...finals are finally over (I did well and wound up with a 3.72 GPA for the term...that's all As and one B-, if anyone is keeping track), my room is all packed up, and I am ready to head home for a few days before leaving for Spain (!!!).
Here is this week's fill in the blank Friday...link up here to play along!
1. The best deal I've ever gotten is a pair of like-new Nike yoga pants for $4.27 (regularly $60)...a sundress by The Limited for $4.27 (regulary $89.50)...a pair of Joe's Jeans for $18.50 (regularly $158)...I could go on! I'm such a bargain hunter, it's insane. Clearance racks and resale stores and I get along so well. I know I shouldn't be preoccupied with brand-name items, but it makes me happy that I can get the label on the cheap!
2. If I were hosting a dinner party and could invite people from my fantasy guest list it would include a lot of people, I'm sure! I'm always bad at these kinds of questions...I know I'd love to meet and spend time with Ree Drummond, Oprah, Michelle Obama, Kate Winslet...apparently I'm all about females with influence?
3. Something that inspires me is my friends. There are so many amazing people in my life and I feel like everyone is in it for a reason...so cheesy, I know! But I feel like everyone plays a role in helping me make the decisions that make up my life.
4. If I could only choose to eat one flavor of food for the rest of eternity (sweet, salty, spicy, bitter....) I would have to go with sweet. I have a huge sweet tooth. And fruit is sweet so I could be "healthy". Ha!
5. I dream about my future. I can't wait to see where I end up! Literally I have dreams about things going on in my life, but in a weirder way (like I'll dream about something that happened to me but random people will be there and it'll be in some weird location).
6. My weekend will be spent babysitting! I start Friday at noon and end Sunday at noon. I love these kids and am psyched to take care of them for the whole weekend.
7. If I could only watch one movie or TV show for the rest of my life, it would be Friends, hands down. I have every episode memorized and have seen them all countless times, but I never ever ever get tired of it. Ever.
Well, another week has gone by...another week without a post, save for "Fill In the Blank Friday". Without these posts, most readers would probably forget I exist! I'm trying to get better, but these days haven't really allowed for much blogging-time. I'm hoping that while I'm in Spain I'll have things to say and time to post!
This week was "dead week" which meant I had papers and presentations and final assignments to complete. I have three more classes left in this term, then will promptly come home for a nice nap and to clean my room before starting to study for finals.
And get ready to leave for Spain. That happens in 13 days. Oh. My. Goodness.
That's all I can say about it right now without going into some sort of state of mental breakdown.
1. My biggest accomplishment in life thus far is getting my education. I know so many people who have thrown in the towel on college, simply giving up because it got too challenging and because they'd be "fine" without a degree. While that may be true, and while it works out for some people, I know I want more for myself than to be working a 9-5 that I hate and that receives minimum wage while living at my parents' house, complaining that I want that all to change. I'm changing it before it starts by taking charge now.
2. My favorite place to sit in my house is my bed. It's so cozy, and sitting there almost always leads to a nice little nap. I'm also partial to the front porch when the weather is nice.
3. My fashion philosophy is all about practicality these days. I have so many cute items in my wardrobe, but most of them don't get worn because I'm far too practical about my day. For example, this term I've had a workout class four days a week, so my outfits have consisted of yoga pants and running shoes...not very stylish, but it makes more sense to me than wearing cute clothes for an hour or two, racing to class to change, then having to go shower before putting on cute clothes again...don't worry, I'll wear "real"clothes in Spain! I have so many pieces deemed by my sisters and I as being "so Abbie" that I never give myself a chance to wear. I also have this weird thing about not wearing my favorite clothes so I don't ruin them...I'm kind of an issue.
4. Something every girl should have is self-confidence. I know that's cheesy and not tangible, but it's true. Girls without self-confidence break my heart.
5. If you looked in my purse right now you'd find...my wallet, headphones, Kindle, gloves, granola bar, umbrella, lip gloss, brush-ups, socks, a pencil and eraser, and car keys. It's usually not that bad, I swear! I move from purse to purse, so normally all the things that are in mine now are in their correct places in my room and my purses are empty.
6. My favorite music right now is Adele! And this is kind of embarrassing (or not, I don't really know), but lately I've had Glee's version of "Landslide" on repeat.
7. My favorite part of my body is my arms. I have been working so hard this term, and my arms have definitely gained great definition to them that I am quite proud of. And, if we're being completely honest, I've always loved my butt...but I won't go into detail :)
Well, after a crazy-busy week, I have finally taken a break.
This week consisted of numerous assignments, four Spanish papers, a mid-term, three short essays, test revisions (very extensive ones, mind you), and who knows what else.
Needless to say, I spent pretty much all of my time at school, doing homework, studying, or at work...normally I have nights where I am able to schedule in a bit of roomie time, but I even had to skip that since I was so swamped. As for quality time with my boyfriend, that consisted of us studying in the same room. Sweet, right?
But this week has been an incredible one - due to fantastic blessings and the wonderful people in my life, I was able to get a Kindle (thanks, grandma!) AND the iPhone 3GS...yay! Both these new things make me feel very tech-savvy (or not so tech-savvy, depends on what I'm trying to figure out) and blessed. I am excited because they were both practical purchases (believe me, I'm the most practical person in the world when it comes to my money).
I am taking the Kindle to Spain so I can take books and dictionaries with me - it's really all about saving space! And I am also taking my new phone...the nice man at the AT&T store explained that I can take it, keep it on Airplane Mode and not be charged any roaming fees or receive calls and texts, but will still be able to use WiFi. Meaning, I will be able to call people via Skype. How great is that?! I'm so stoked.
Also, I want to get this app...I hope I won't need it much, but it'd be good for back-up. Or for when I get there and am feeling overwhelmed while trying to get somewhere on my first day in Santander.
Anyway, after the stress of this week ended today at 1:00, I spent a relaxing day napping and reading Harry Potter with my boyfriend, getting my phone, and watching movies with the roomies. Tomorrow will bring a trip home to find "sensible shoes" for Spain and see the family a bit before heading back on Sunday to study study study!
Hope you all had great weeks and have fun weekends planned! Here is a little help to get you started - Fill in the Blank Friday :) Link up here to play along!
1. The phrase or punctuation I overuse most is: As far as the phrase, I say "Shut up!" more than enough...not in the "Be quiet" way, but in the "No way!" way. I'm also a fan of "Shut the front door!" (a nicer version of "Shut the f*** up") and "Let's be real..." As for overused punctuation, I'm a sucker for ellipses...clearly :)
2. Today I am thankful for so many things! To narrow it down: my family, my boyfriend, my roomies, my Kindle, my iPhone, my upcoming trip, my ability to power through this week.
3. My best friends are my sisters, hands down. I was so lucky to receive two automatic best friends, just because of the family I was born into.
4. A quirky thing about me is that I can't feel okay about leaving my house for the day if the bed is unmade, I insist on aisle seats wherever I go, and I brush my teeth at least five times a day.
5. This weekend I am going to get some family time in, study, and enjoy one of my last weekends in the states before I jet off for Spain (less than three weeks away - eek!).
6. Something that worries me is ... too many things. I'm a worrier. Recurring worries as of late involve my trip to Spain...we'll talk about those some other time though.
7. On my night stand you would find a lamp, a box of tissues, my Bible, my journal, whatever book I'm currently reading (it was just Redeeming Love on my Kindle), and a candle.
Ever have one of those days where you feel like you're "go-go-go!" all day long and still haven't accomplished everything on your to-do list?
Today I feel like I've been doing so much, yet haven't been productive at all...a terrible feeling, especially for someone like me who loves to cross things off lists to make me feel like everything I've been doing is worth my time.
Today started with my workout class, followed by work. At work I hoped to get in a little homework (I have a daunting assignment due tomorrow evening)...but today I was asked to offer a little insight on rowing (ha!) to the intern who will take over for me when I'm in Spain (eek!), then I did my normal transcription of the basketball press conference, then interviewed the rowing coach, then scanned some photos that were requested of us...I had a few minutes to get started on my rowing story then was out the door and onto my next task: the gym.
Thanks to my new Kindle (which I will have to tell you about later, I swear I should be paid to advertise the Kindle with how much I've talked it up to everyone I know in the 24 hours that I've owned in), I was able to get an hour of cardio in today (Redeeming Love holds my attention so well...accompanied by the fact that I didn't have to awkwardly turn the page while on the elliptical, and could increase the size to easily read while moving...but I said I'm ramble about that later. And I will. One of these days).
Sorry about the lengthy parentheses in that previous paragraph. The bare bones of it was this: Thanks to my new Kindle, I was able to get an hour of cardio in today.
I raced home for lunch then began to work on my assignments due tomorrow.
I finished a Spanish paper, struggled over a story and 15 deep, insightful questions until it was time to go to my sister's (every Tuesday night my boyfriend and I make dinner with her and her fiancé. Such a fun tradition!). After dinner, I came back home and have been working on homework ever since.
I'm currently struggling over an assignment for my copyediting class, but still have a lot of studying and prep for an in-class essay to do before tomorrow.
And here I am, blogging. Why? I suppose I just needed an outlet. I feel like nothing off my list has been checked off today, but I've been working my butt off all day.
All that's getting me through right now is knowing that I'll somehow manage to get it all finished, and that in a week (or even a day or two) I'll realize that all of this wasn't even worth stressing over.
But until then, I'll sit here, frantically working into the night, until I feel accomplished enough to go to bed. I have a feeling 2:00 a.m. and I will meet (for the first time this term) tonight...