Friday, May 28, 2010

wish list

Let me paint you a picture.

It is currently 12:26 a.m. I am taking a study break. The first since 3:20 p.m.

Yes, you read that correctly. I have been doing homework for 9 hours straight.

Mostly. I took a 30 minute break to eat dinner, but I was reading my speech as I oversaw my boiling macaroni noodles (gotta love college meals), and the actual consumption of my dinner took place as I finished my slides for my spanish presentation.

But still. That's a whole lotta homework. And I'm still not finished.

Here I am, blogging. I'm beginning if it's even worth staying up an extra hour or two to try to finish everything considering the fact that my brain is pretty much done functioning for the evening.

I have to get up in 6-and-a-half hours to ensure that I look presentable for my speech and presentation (I am just tickled pink that both of those things fell on the same day), as well as ensure that I don't completely ruin my grade by being unprepared.

Remember what I said about needing eight hours of sleep?

Oh boy.

Here is what I wish right at this very moment...

1. That there were magic people in my house that could clean my room for me. I can't sleep when it's messy (read: if there's a single pen out of place), and it currently looks like a homework hurricane recently swept through. My bed is covered with books and notebooks, my floor is littered with pens, paper scraps, and remnants of my poster board. My desk has been taken over by a bottle of juice and a glass of water, and a box of cheez-its; as well as the drawers where I keep my office supplies, contents strewn about. I couldn't find my tape or glue. It was almost a crisis.

2. That there were magic people in my house that could finish my homework for me. Or at least ingrain my speech into my brain while I sleep. I prefer to use my note cards as little as possible, but currently it looks like I'll be using them quite a bit. Good thing my hand writing is impeccable.

3. That there was a way to paint my nails without having to wait awkwardly for them to dry before I went to bed. I'm sure there are fabulous nail polishes out there that dry that quickly, but I'm a sucker for Nicole by O.P.I., and they don't dry quickly. Which is normally okay by me. But time is really of the essence tonight.

4. That I didn't have homework. I miss the days when you came home from school and left school where it was - 15 minutes away - while you basked in the happiness of childhood and not having grades to worry about.

5. That I didn't worry about my grades so much. Honestly, I'm doing well in all of my classes. I have an A in everything as of right now, so a B on one speech or an A- on one presentation really wouldn't be the end of the world. I always think I do worse than I actually do (not as an attention-seeking mechanism, I just always end up second-guessing myself at the last second), and it causes extra stress, which leads to less sleep.

6. That I could go to bed right now. But, as previously mentioned, there is homework to finish and a room to tidy up.

7. That I had a pack of gum. I am a stress gum-chewer. When I start to feel overwhelmed by homework, I chew a piece until it runs out of flavor. I continue this process until (1) I finish my homework, (2) my jaw hurts, or (3) I'm out of gum. I ran out of gum this afternoon. It was an unhappy moment.

I wish more things, but my brain is done for the night.

Hopefully it will grace me with its presence for tomorrow's speech and presentation...

Thank goodness the long weekend is almost here!

♥ abigail

1 comment:

  1. WOW you guys are still in school? I thought you'd be done by now. That's what I get for not needing follow college calendars (yet).

    Hope you got some sleep!

    ReplyDelete