Saturday, June 12, 2010

june eleventh

Yesterday was my twentieth birthday.

I don't really like my birthday. As a middle child, I have always had what have been deemed "birthday issues" (also general middle child issues...but that's another story for another time) by my family and friends.

I've shared my birthday with finals and graduation weekend for as long as I can remember, and I sort of share my birthday with my little brother (his birthday is on June 8, and every June 11 we reminisce how x number of years ago today he came home from the hospital...on my fifth birthday).

I tend to get sad on my birthday because I make a big deal (phone calls, cards, surprises, presents, balloons, etc.) out of other people's birthdays, and it's not reciprocated as well as I like.

I know it's not fair to expect other people to be as excited about celebrating my birthday as I do theirs, so I don't expect it. I don't do what I do for acknowledgment or in hopes of their doing something for me, but I'm always left wishing that someone would make a big deal out of my birthday.

And yesterday, my wish came true.

First, I celebrated at home with my family.


Here I am after blowing out the candles (all 20 plus one for luck in one breath!) and before we headed to my younger sister's graduation Baccalaureate Mass.

We went to Mass, me grumbling all the way, and crammed our way into a tiny pew (there wasn't enough room in the church for all the grads and their guests).

After Mass, my older sister and I tried to make a quick getaway but were detained by the obligatory pictures (both family and friends) of the grads-to-be. This was okay, because I got a birthday hug from this guy...


He also tried to give me a flower he was given by one of his teachers...I informed him to not give girls carnations. I feel like I just saved his life or something. Not really...I wouldn't be mad if someone was trying to be sweet and gave me a carnation, but it's not my first choice when it comes to flowers - I love lilies and daisies.

But I digress.

This is my good friend Ian - we've known each other since I was in eighth grade and he was in sixth. He's in my sister's class, and we've always been good buddies. Also, I was particularly pleased with my hair (more specifically my bow) in this photo.

After Mass, the fam and I headed home where I got ready to go out with my friends.

I went to a fantastic little bakery in Eugene (Sweet Life) and was greeted by this:


I was thrilled. My best friend set it up, and I couldn't have asked for a better evening.

My best guy friends (I refer to them as "the boys") were there (minus one, who is in D.C. for an internship), as well as some other good friends I hadn't seen for a long time. We had a lovely time eating cake, talking too loudly about The Bachelorette and How I Met Your Mother, reminiscing about high school, and talking about our summer plans. It was just what I needed to boost my spirits.

Now I'm sitting on the deck in the sunshine, home for the summer and ready to enjoy my time off from school. My family has scattered to go to other graduation festivities (Kendall graduated this morning), and I am left basking in the sun...not a bad way to start my second decade!

♥ abigail

2 comments: