Friday, September 10, 2010

zucchini desserts

My mom's garden has been spitting out zucchini like it's going out of style.

We've given away a lot of it, eaten a lot of it, and my mom started searching the internet for new ideas of what to do with it. This led to some fried zucchini cakes in addition to my mom's normal method of cooking some up with onions and/or garlic.

In other words, gross. I have absolutely no appreciation for zucchini as a vegetable.

But as a dessert? More, please!

This week, school started back up again for my mom (she's a third grade teacher), my brother, and the kids I nanny for. This left me with an empty house and a lot of free time. After the joys of being able to take my time on my morning crossword puzzle (having to share the comics section always rushes me more than I'd like) faded, I realized I didn't have much to do.

With everyone in my family either at school or work, I didn't have a car, so I had a whole lotta extra time on my hands. I organized my room some more, cleaned the house, and attempted to read some actual classics.

I grew bored of these activities, and took myself to the kitchen, where I discovered piles of zucchini on the countertops. These lovely green vegetables had been on the counters for a few days, and my mom had been hinting at someone making zucchini bread, so I decided, as the house's resident baker, that I would make some (recipe at the end of the post).

This recipe didn't even make a dent in our zucchini. I then decided to make these zucchini cupcakes with a cinnamon-cream cheese frosting. Delicious!

Today I decided to further deplete our zucchini stash by making zucchini cookies and zucchini brownies. Also delicious!

Zucchini is a fantastic dessert food...who woulda thunk it? It makes everything so lovely and moist (heck, it even causes me to use the word moist, which I usually refuse to think, let alone type), and so gosh darn edible. It also adds a lovely green tint to the food, making it both delicious and aesthetically pleasing. And moist.

Now in addition to zucchini, we're also up to our ears in zucchini-themed desserts. I really need to run about 50 miles. Right now.

But instead, I'll give you the recipe for my favorite zucchini bread...(and have a cookie. Or two.)

Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups shredded zucchini
8 ounces crushed pineapple
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Beat eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla together until frothy and thick. Fold in zucchini and pineapple. Sift dry ingredients in separate bowl and add to wet ingredients. Mix until combined. Bake in two greased 5-by-9-inch bread pans at 350 degrees for one hour.

zucchini-filled,
♥ abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment