Saturday, April 17, 2010

sophomore slump

Ah, the sophomore slump...

I figured it was a myth; that it was nothing to worry about. Now that I'm in the middle of it (at least what I hope is the middle of it), I have discovered how real it is.

Instead of going into excruciating detail that I probably don't want to be all over the internet, I will break down my sophomore slump into a few key points:

1. I live approximately 1.2 miles from the co-op I lived in last year, where a majority of my friends still live.
2. I refer to my apartment as "The Pit" or "The Cave" due to its lack of light. It really is where sunshine goes to die (or more literally, where sunshine never goes. Ever).
3. End of a year-and-a-half long relationship.
4. Lack of a major.
5. Stressful schoolwork load/workload.

If you add 1+2+3+4+5, you get the reason why I often dwell on the fact that I hate my life (I don't really. But sometimes I wish it was different). You also get 15, if you're into being literal. I usually am.

So for this school year (especially the past month-and-a-half), I have been doing a lot of thinking and soul-searching. I wish that this soul-searching had led to answers, but it hasn't. Not yet, anyway. I've been focusing on self-improvement (reading the bible, exercising more, eating healthier, not procrastinating, wardrobe updates), but on some days I am just overwhelmed and don't feel improved at all.

I have learned that in these days, I need to focus on the little things that make me happy. This has led me to another list. Hopefully this particular list will be one that grows as I find more things to love about life, though I hope one day to not require its encouragement.

Abigail's List of Happy Things
((aka the list of things that make me small almost 100% of the time))

1. Sunshine. I love it in all forms, but these days I enjoy it more specifically when it is warm.

2. Driving in the sunshine. I know that's essentially the same as the above point, but today I was driving down Highway 99 while the sun was setting over the hills, and it was beautiful.

3. Happy (country) songs. Country songs tend to make me the happiest because they are so often about happy things (like the summer), but lots of genres have songs that make me smile. Currently my favorite "make me smile" songs aren't even country songs (I like "Broke Down Hearted Wonderland" by Edwin McCain, "Naturally" by Selena Gomez [hey - don't judge me!], and "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train).

4. Waking up to blue skies. This is really self-explanatory.

5. Skirts and dresses. For some reason, I feel like I look so much better in skirts and dresses than I do in pants. I feel prettier and more put-together without feeling too dressed up. Plus, the past few months have added four new skirts to my wardrobe (don't worry, the total set-back was only $45 dollars - I'm a frugal shopper!): a distressed denim mini, a flowered cotton flowy mini, an adorable striped mini, and a high-waisted floral number complete with a belt. I haven't worn them all yet, but am definitely looking forward to the perfect opportunities to present themselves!

((list to be continued...))

As you can see, my happy emotions tend to stem from the weather. I think I suffer from some level of seasonal depression, so the recent appearance of the sun has really been helping me out this last week.

Here's to the sunshine sticking around!

♥ abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment